Sunday, April 22, 2012

2012 Homeschooling Conference and Curriculm Fair

It was just about a year ago when I officially decided I was going to homeschool our kids.  I was totally bummed when I found out I had just missed the 2011 Homeschooling Conference and Curriculum Fair, but I must tell you that someone was looking out for me.  Had I gone last year, I would have been totally overwhelmed without a clue as to what I should be doing.  Who knows, it could have been enough to make me start doubting my decision. 

I am truly thankful that I have had a year to research as much as I possibly could.  I have been able to read a lot of books and blogs, come to an understanding of the different teaching approaches and the curriculum that goes with them, plus I have met a lot of homeschooling families who have been able to answer the massive amount of questions a new homeschooler may have. 

Going into the conference, I was feeling pretty good.  I had basic knowledge of what I needed to know, but I also knew the people I wanted to talk with and the questions I wanted to ask.  Luckily, I was able to flip through different books that I had been interested in and be able to make a more informed decision on what I should be purchasing for the fall.

I was also able to go to a couple of workshops and listen to what those speakers had to teach me.  One was actually called How to Homeschool.  I thought this would be a perfect place to start.  Sitting through that class made me feel pretty good about where I am at.  I actually had some knowledge of everything they were talking about.  It is always great to hear other peoples personal stories and how they want their days to go and how they actually go!

Leaving the conference I felt energized (my goal) and very excited for the upcoming school year.  If new baby wasn't so close to being here, I would start the kids up now.  However, I am smart enough to know things are going to get a little more crazy around here before we can get back on a "schedule" of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment