Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Classroom Time"

In an attempt to make myself feel like I was actually doing some teaching, I came up with classroom time (creative, I know)  Every morning after breakfast while my 5 month old is taking his morning nap, the girls sit up at the counter and have classroom time with mommy.  It can be as simple as coloring or cutting, or more detailed like flashcards, dot-to-dots, or working on handwriting.  I give them each a few options and they can pick what they want to work on. 

Since they are only 3 and 2, it requires my complete attention and is totally hands on.  I can stand in between them and go back and forth as needed.  So far I have had nothing but excitement, they ask for it a few times a day.  Yesterday, Addison walked downstairs and asked if we could have classroom time even before breakfast, makes me think I am doing something right.


I am not one that likes to force learning on children, but if they are having fun and learning something at the same time, I am all for it!  We typically learn by reading books.  My girls love to read to me and I love to read to them, so I hope this continues throughout their lives.  We own well over 500 books and are continually looking for more shelf space, but I know this will only get worse over time.  I hope to keep things relaxed around here, but I know some structure is needed, which is why I thought I would try out this classroom time idea.  Luckily for me, it is a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment